A sock can go right or wrong. There’s no middle way in this. On one hand, it uplifts your fashion statement; on the other, it can make you look clingy if you don’t choose the perfect pair of socks. In this article, I will tell you how wearing compression can benefit calf pain and strains.
Compression socks are one such type that is generally used after surgery to prevent blood clots from developing in the leg, commonly known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
It also prevents swelling and increases the rate of healing after any surgery. Before diving deep, let us know how beneficial compression socks are.
Benefits of Compression socks for calf pain and strains
Compression socks apply gentle pressure to your legs and ankles, promoting blood flow from your legs to your heart. Here are a few points that speak to how beneficial compression socks are
- Helps to reduce swelling
- Corrects the toe alignment
- Allows increased activity
- Prevents blood clots from developing in the leg
- Enhances the healing process
The benefits of using compression socks are many but there is a proper way of wearing them.
How do compression socks help with calf pain and strains?
- Stability- Whenever someone hits the ground with a force, he/she might not feel something at the moment but several issues might happen in the future. Compression socks thus help to stabilize the leg and help to reduce any sort of thing that would have caused calf pain or strain.
- Protection- If you already have calf pain or a strain, wearing compression socks decreases the pain and prevents further injury.
- Blood Circulation- Good supply of oxygen helps in preventing pain in the calf and also reduces the amount of injury. Wearing compression socks ensures a good flow of blood in the body and a hence good supply of oxygen.
- Swelling- If there is any sort of swelling or inflammation around the calf, compression socks act as magic and help in reducing the pain.
- Muscle oscillation- Compression socks can reduce muscle oscillation, the vibration that occurs in your muscles as your foot strikes the ground when walking or running.
- Warmth- Compression socks and sleeves can keep your muscles warm during exercise. It is said that warm muscles have better blood flow and thus help reduce fatigue and injury. If you run in colder temperatures or climates, calf sleeves may benefit your training. They can also help prevent calf strains or calf re-injuries.
Now that we have a clear idea about how compression socks are beneficial for calf pain and strains, let us understand how to wear them properly to get the best result.
How to wear compression socks for calf pain and strains?
Before choosing your compression socks, there are certain things you should keep in mind. These include size, compression level, type of material, and a few other factors.
The advantages of compression socks are many and if you are someone having calf pain or a strain, it acts like magic. Choose the proper socks, wear them properly and enjoy their benefits.